Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Last Kiss


Last Kiss

        “I’m having a party tonight at my house!” read the text I received from my best friend.  I had forgotten her parents were going to Las Vegas this weekend, and my friend wanted to be a show-off by throwing a party.  I am not a drinker, nor do I ever plan on being one.  My boyfriend and I were debating whether or not to go, but I knew we would have to or Lexi, my friend, would never forgive me.  Lexi and I are only fourteen, but my boyfriend Kyle is sixteen.  “I’ll drive,” he said, “so we can leave if the party gets out of hand.”  It was only two o’clock, and we were laying in my cozy basement talking about anything and everything.  We were listening to Last Kiss by Pearl Jam, his favorite band.  The day rushed by as it always seemed to do when I was with him. Before we knew it, we were picking up some of our other friends, and heading off for the worst night of our lives.
        Dan, the biggest show-off at our school, was already tipsy when we walked through Lexi’s extravagant double doors into her lavishly decorated house.  I began to feel remorse for being there.  I kept imagining her neighbors calling her mom and telling her about Lexi having almost every underclassman at her house.  She would be mad, Lexi would be grounded, and I would be without my best friend for a long time.  I told Lexi about my fears and she brushed them off by saying, “Shut up Michelle, just have fun!” She was engaged in conversation with the boy she has a crush on, showing off the outfit she bought for her party.  More and more people kept inundating through the door.  Lexi didn’t mind though, because little miss popular got “cooler” as each person stepped into the chaos.  Everybody was getting drunk now, and with that, everybody was getting louder.  Kyle began to take part in the drinking games everybody was playing.  When Last Kiss came on at the party, he began screaming the lyrics.  He was drunk.  I couldn’t be mad though right?  Everybody else was drinking; It was the cool thing to do.
        Everybody was having a good time - everybody but me.  Kyle was being a show off, sharing his stories about all of the fun times he’s had while being under the influence.  People were everywhere:  in her basement, in her kitchen, in her garage, in her backyard.  I didn’t want to be in any of these places, so I called my sister.  She agreed to picking me up soon, and I set off to find Kyle.  “My sister is coming to get us soon,” I told him.  He laughed, telling me it was still too early to leave.  “I’m just starting to have fun.  Besides, my cars here.”  I tried to convince him that we could pick it up tomorrow, but guess who wouldn’t leave?  When my sister arrived, I went to say my goodbyes.  I told Lexi I was sorry for leaving early, and lied about having a good time.  I attempted to persuade Kyle to leave with me one more time.  He refused, so I said goodbye.  That was our last kiss.
        The next morning, I woke up to a call from Kyle’s mom.  She explained to me that on Kyle’s way home, he had gotten into a car accident.  Three other kids were in the car, and only one of them survived.  Kyle and the two others died.  The police calculated that he was going over one hundred miles per hour.  Why? I’m not sure.  He was probably being a show-off;  His parents just recently bought him a GT Mustang for Christmas.  I felt my heart break right then and there.  Why didn’t I force him to leave with me?  How could I let him drive home?  Why didn’t I stay with him?  I knew I couldn’t change what I did.  I was disgusted.
Shortly after my conversation with Kyle’s mom ended, Lexi called me.  I couldn’t understand what she was saying.  Seriously, she was balling her eyes out.  I started crying, too, because I kept thinking about Kyle.  I finally made out what she was trying to say.  Another girl drove home drunk and was pulled over by a police officer.  She told him where she drank at, and Lexi’s party got busted.  Neither of us continued to talk.  We sat on the phone for another ten minutes crying.
I felt bad for her, and she felt bad for me.  Our night had ended in a complete disaster.  I knew from the beginning that she should have never had that party.  
I don’t think a ticket is something she is going to want to show off.

No comments:

Post a Comment